Saturday 2 September 2017

Buxom Cosmetics Review




Hey Honeys! Long time no see, am I right? I've been taking a break from blogging lately due to a lack of time, and have been focusing on my Instagram account instead. Today, however, I decided it was time to blow the dust off of this site again and type a post up. ESPECIALLY when something as important as Buxom Cosmetics Launching in the UK happens. Is no one else in shock?!

I've had my eye on Buxom for a long time now - it's often raved about, the packaging is beautiful, it's cruelty-free; what more could I need? Yet, even after thoroughly searching online, I still couldn't find anywhere I could purchase it in the UK. So you can probably imagine my surprise when I was swatching Kat Von D products in the Brighton Debenhams and my mother pointed out a Buxom stand with the casual question, "Have you ever heard of that brand?" After talking a little to the guy working there - who recognised my excitement and came running, by the way - I've learned that Debenhams are attempting to become the UK version of Sephora, and that they're slowly introducing new brands. Buxom has been launched in just 10 UK stores; but can be purchased on the Debenhams website here.

I decided to purchase a lipgloss I've been pining over for a long time, and an eyeshadow palette as there was a deal on (purchase 6 shades and an empty palette, save £20 and get a free mini mascara. The sales assistant even gave an extra mascara for my mum to try. Give this man a raise!). The lipgloss I chose is a popular favourite - the 'Full On Lip Cream' in the shade White Russian. It's a beautiful pale pink nude shade, and is extremely glossy. It's not at all sticky, yet it still lasts a good amount of time. I was also impressed at the lack of streaks in this product. Here are a couple of photos of me wearing it - in the first picture, I layered it over the NYX 'Soft Matte Lip Cream' in the shade Stockholm, and in the second (blurry) picture I'm wearing it alone. I do prefer it layered, as I find that pale shades don't really create enough of a lip line for me and can look uneven.



Here is a swatch on my hand:


The only thing I dislike about this product is that it's a plumping gloss. I find these utterly useless on my lips, and although the mint-like sensation is refreshing at first it gets annoying after a while as it never really fades. If you don't mind this, however, then you will love this gloss!

The guy working in the store informed me that the reason the eyeshadows are so popular is because they have primer blended into them. They definitely swatch pigmented, and I'm extremely happy with the foiled/shimmer shades, as they're very intense. I was in a bit of a rush to choose shades and I hadn't researched any, so I slightly regret some of my decisions (a couple are quite similar to eyeshadows I already own). I tried to go for three every day shades to test the quality of the shadows compared to others I've used, and then three shades totally out of my comfort zone. Here are some swatches...


From bottom to top: Silk Sheets, Gimme Gorgeous, Filthy Rich, Wild Nights, Patent Leather, No Faux

I found the mattes to be a little difficult to blend, and I was kind of disappointed when Gimme Gorgeous didn't work as a transition/crease shade but more of a nude. It just means I'll have to dip into other palettes to create a more intense eye look with these shadows. However, there was NO fall out with these mattes which impressed me a lot, as the pigmentation was so good. The other colours are fabulous and leave a stain on the skin so that they last all day - beware though, the intensity of the colour does fade. 


PLEASE ignore my eyebrows!! I had just gotten back from holidays and hadn't had a chance to do them yet. They're definitely a mess.


In this eye look I used all the shades except No Faux. I'm a bit upset, as No Faux did look like an emerald green in store, but upon swatching I've realised it has a red duo chrome to it. This makes it very similar to one of the definer shades in my Wet n Wild 'Comfort Zone' palette, only the Wet n Wild shade has more of a blue shift than green. I guess I can layer it over black to get the green to show...

Finally, I tested the 'Lash Mascara'. This did disappoint me a little, as I'm normally a huge fan of plastic wands - especially hourglass shaped ones - as they comb the lashes better than fibre ones, but this one just didn't work for me. Mascara always goes onto my eyelids when I use it but this one was worse than normal, and my lashes ended up so clumpy that I had to use a lash comb; something I don't like to do when reviewing/testing a mascara as it technically shouldn't need help from a comb to look nice.


Again....excuse the brows.

On the other hand though, my mother loved this mascara, so maybe it's just me!

Let me know if any of you have tried this brand in the new UK launch, or if you've been a long time lover/hater of it! What are your favourite products? I'd be interested to know... Thanks for reading!

Eve xo







No comments:

Post a Comment