Thursday 6 October 2016

The Balm 'Appétit' Palette Review and Swatches

Hey Honeys! I'm really excited for today's post, as it's a review on a product I've been wanting to try out for a while now. A couple of weeks ago, The Balm released their new 'The Balm Appétit' palette, 
and it's adorable. As it's The Balm, the whole palette is full of puns and plays on words - even the title, which you hopefully didn't miss! - and a whole tonne of different shades to create the look you desire, day or night. If you're at all interested in the many attributes of this handy little item, then please read on!


As you can see, the message 'EAT UR <3 OUT' has been put over the shades. Not only does this add a really cute touch to the already perfect packaging, but it's extremely handy. When flipped back to reveal the full pans, the cardboard (which is magnetic, by the way) provides a base for the palette to stand on, so you won't have to hold it whilst applying the shadows. Nice!


(The palette sits up on its own to make life a little easier!)

(A close up of the eyeshadow pans, unfortunately after I swatched them, so they're a little messy. I just wanted you to take a moment to appreciate the shade names.)


Now for the part you're probably waiting for: swatches and my honest review of the shades. I have to say, I can see this palette becoming a new favourite of mine! The matte shadows blend out so effortlessly on the lid, and the pigmentation is perfect. It's not so intense that you'll have to tap a tonne of product off of your brush, but it doesn't take building up layer upon layer to get colour payoff. The satin shades are where this palette really comes into it's own though. They're extremely buttery and smooth, and there is no chunky glitter - which is something a lot of shadows contain and I really dislike. The shade Tate R. Tots is stunning, as you can see in my swatch. It took no time at all to build up any of these shades, I'd say I applied one to two layers for each.
The only shade I'm not sure about is Chris P. Bacon. The actual colour is beautiful and the pigmentation and formula are just as perfect as the other shades, but a bright copper doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the cool, pink-toned neutrals. The shades seem to match up so much better without that colour, I feel like Chris just doesn't fit in with the other guys. However, if you own as many eyeshadows as I do, then you'll of course find the perfect combination to use this shade in; I just don't think it belongs to this palette. The pink shades clash with it, and the smokier ones look a little halloween costume-like when paired with an orange that bright.
The Balm are one of those companies with a price range between high end and drugstore; you can find them in Superdrug and you can find them in Debenhams. However, despite the price tag that some may understandably find a little steep, I would recommend this palette.

Apart from my disappointment with Mr Bacon, I'm really impressed with this palette and I can't wait to get using it more! I'm planning on going away soon, and the cardboard packaging, assortment of shades and small size make this my perfect travel buddy. I hope you enjoyed reading this review, and that you love this palette as much as I do. Let me know if you've tried it!
Speak soon,

Eve xo

Follow me on Instagram
Email me


No comments:

Post a Comment